Electrical Design Manager
Friday, 13 October 2023
We are seeking an experienced Electrical Design Manager to join our busy team! You will be based in our Headquarters in Ballymena and report to our Technical & Design Lead.
A MEP Design Manager plays a critical role in ensuring that MEP systems are designed, installed, and maintained in a safe, efficient, and cost-effective manner, while also supporting the overall success of construction projects.
With continued growth, we are keen to take on new talent to help us expand our operations and open to discussion with all levels of experience from Northern Ireland to work in our regional offices.
Responsibilities of a MEP Design Manager through a project PCSA/Design period include:
- Overseeing the design of MEP systems, including HVAC, plumbing, fire protection & safety, electrical systems, Fire Alarm & Security Systems and electrical supplies/controls to Mechanical Services in line with Cost Plans and VE aspirations in a cost-effective manner.
- Leading initial Engineering Report, Contractors proposals and Basis of Design documents to ensure the
- Managing the MEP design team, including assigning tasks (BG6), agreeing program/deliverables, setting deadlines, monitoring progress by the entire design team and providing guidance and mentorship
- Collaborating with other Consultants/designers, such as architecture, structural engineering, and project management, to ensure that MEP design projects align with overall project goals and schedules.
- Coordinating the work of outside consultants and specialists contractors (CDP) involved in the MEP design process, issuing EWNs and/or NCNs as an early intervention where the success of the project may be at risk at as early as stage as possible.
- Evaluating the quality, progress and direction of decisions that influence the design and keeping a record (BG2, 3 & 4) for future reference and handover to delivery team.
- Conducting site visits to assess existing MEP systems and to identify potential design challenges if required.
- Leading technical workshops or actively request others to arrange same with other designers and any 3rd party stake holders in ample time to not inhibit design progress.
- Managing the MEP design budget and resource allocation, and negotiating contracts with external MEP design agencies and suppliers
- Issuing Technical Submittals and/or Proposals in time to ensure the design is developed in ample time with sufficient technical supporting information issued and approved by stakeholders.
- Reviewing drawings, BWIC, submittals, specifications and change orders/PMIs to ensure compliance with the ERS, design intent and exemplar specifications, including reviewing Revit (Acad) and Navisworks (3D models) for coordination and buildability.
- Ensuring BIM models are developed in line with BEP and the involvement of the in-house BIM team to assist and review.
- Ensuring that MEP systems are designed and installed in compliance with relevant codes, standards, regulations and any 3rd Party Accreditations.
- Assisting and providing information into routine project reporting alongside other team members for internal and external company distribution.
Roles and responsibilities carried out to assist the project or other Departments within the overall company:
- Assist in preparation of costs plans along side Bid Managers, Bid Leads and estimators by producing early stage engineering calculations and strategies to help inform cost plans and estimates.
- Developing, issuing and monitoring RFIs during the project duration to stage 5, taking full ownership through PCSA and Design stages, then doing handover to Delivery team so requests are not repeated and understood.
- Reviewing early stage design reports by all design teams and ERs to help develop and inform cost plans, budgets and quotes with the Bid Management teams.
- Prompting and having foresight to issue EWNs and/or notifications and providing supporting technical information for any EWN, CE or Variation through the PCSA and Design stages up to Stage 5, then assisting CM/PM through stage 5 as they lead.
- Continuous Technical and Engineering support through the project life duration and beyond completion and handover.
- Reviewing and commenting on any subsequent claim by external Consultants for additional fee or resource to complete the tasks.
- Help and assist other departments with minor technical assistance on traditional and FM projects to ensure compliance and engineering solutions are influenced correctly.
- Reviewing and assessing Suppliers quotes and fees for compliance and completeness.
- Minimum 3rd Level Education
- Electrical Engineering HNC/HND or
- NVQ4 Electrical Installation/Technician
- Fully proficient with Microsoft Office suite.
- Previous responsibility of overseeing and/or project managing a team.
- Understanding of Electrical Design development, coordination and planning
- Knowledge of Compliance, Codes and Regulations requirements
- Familiar with 3D Modelling to review and BIM requirements.
- Understanding of commercial aspects of engineering solutions and budget management
- Membership of IET / IHEEM / CIBSE (or similar) preferred but not essential.
We are committed to investing in talent and developing opportunities for our staff. As equal opportunities employers, we welcome applicants from all communities.
To apply please send a copy of your CV and covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Wednesday, 1 November 2023